Search This Blog

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Marymount Athletics

Prior to working at Marymount, I have to admit that I was, at best, the quintessential American soccer fan. That is, I knew that soccer is a sport that most of the world enjoys. I knew that our friends across the pond have the sense to call it football (logical, seeing as how the sport, when boiled down to its key components, involves a foot and a ball). I had watched the World Cup, I had some idea of what a hooligan is, and I even thought I grasped some of the rules (i.e. when someone enacts a dive with the tension and dramatic flair of a Shakespearean tragedy, the ref holds up a colored card and much swearing ensues). Still, other than tepidly cheering on the US team every four years, I never really had much of an emotional connection to the sport. Until now. Now I have a team that I follow, and I believe that by any standards that officially makes me a soccer fan. I feel so...enlightened. 

Read on to learn more about Marymount College Athletics!









Let me tell you a little about our Soccer team (After all, that's kind of the point of this post). We have both a men's and a women's team. We offer scholarships up to a full-ride (dependent on ability, of course). We're part of the NAIA (National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics), which is a smaller, more academically-inclined division of college athletics. We win a lot of games. Our head coach, Ben Graham, is a great guy, British (which implies a level of European expertise that we Americans can rarely claim), and has done amazing things with our program. He does most of our scouting, but if you're good and he's somehow missed you, fill out our soccer questionnaire and he'll contact you.
We also holding OPEN TRYOUTS on Saturday, April 15th! RSVP by CLICKING HERE


We also have a club Lacrosse team (men's and women's). Lacrosse, for those of you who have not been exposed, is sort-of a mixture of hockey, football, and the movie Gladiator. It involves throwing a ball into a net with a stick, and--when not engaged in that task--whacking opposing players soundly across the torso with said stick. Other than Rugby, I must say that it is as near perfection as any sport I have seen.

Lacrosse is open to anyone, regardless of experience, (or yacht ownership/country club membership/amount of garishly colored Ralph Lauren clothing in your closet). So if you want to play,  just contact our head coach, Aaron Karsh, to try out. We have both men's and women's, and we're currently recruiting all positions. I would recommend it to anyone who played ANY sort of contact sport in high school. Heck, I'd recommend it to anyone who played ANY sport in high school. General athleticism translates extremely well on the lacrosse pitch, and there is always something to be said for trying something new that involves using a metal stick as a bludgeon.

Here are some action shots. Enjoy.

















No comments:

Post a Comment